Monday, May 28, 2007

"So, um, what do we think of veterans anyway?" "They got us a day off!"

Date: 5/28/07
Location: Rancho Huevos
Bands: Tierra de Nadie, Barren, Disrobe
Cost: $5 suggested
Drinks: BYO
Things I missed to be there: Free the SF8 benefit with Mic Terror, Hollywood Holt, The Cool Kids, and Million $ Mano at The Funky Buddha Lounge
The Reason for going: Whenever something comes up, punk shows are the first thing to get neglected, so, I guess the answer would be guilt plus curiosity plus up the punx!!!!!




Memorial Day weekend was a bit rough on your boy, 2007. I played about four shows by the time Monday came around, and was a bit worse for the wear. I had a nice showing of friends show up, and drank more booze than I had in a while, all of it either much, much better than I'm used to drinking, or much, much worse. Still, I felt bad about missing as many shows as the weekend was willing to offer up. On Sunday, Brilliant Pebbles played the Fireside Bowl, 2% Majesty came back to town for a Ladyfest benefit at South Union, and Environmental Encroachment and Black Bear Combo joined a couple other bands at the weekly Orphanage jam, and then EE moved down to a friend's barbecue and kept shit going there. There was shit going on the rest of the weekend to, but Memorial Day Sunday is a thing to behold. The first warm three-day, four-night weekend of the year.

So today I'm continuing everything with what must be the fourth barbecue I've included into all the craziness and by the time I get to the punk show, I feel like I'm gonna puke, and all I've got to fight my sobering headache is Diet Pepsi. Much as I wanted to see Tierra de Nadie and Disrobe, I couldn't make it past the first band. The flyer referred to them as Barren but I heard them referred to as Burger Baron and Anal Leakage and I couldn't tell if they were serious or not. It might just be because I got ahold of a bunch of old mixtapes I made in high school but I thought the band sounded like a cross between poppy fast melodies of Screeching Weasel and the screamy-without-being-growly-ness of Bikini Kill. Not bad at all.

Then I ran into an alley and let loose lord only knows how many pounds of hamburger and vegetables masquerading as hamburger.

No comments: