Monday, June 11, 2007

party people pop pills in petunia emporiums

Date: 6/9/07
Location: The Flower Shoppe
Price: $5, $10 once the place got packed
Drinks: Foamy kegs with admission, mixed drinks for a buck
DJs: Livewire, Skyler, Mr. Bobby, DJ Demchuk, Rayaline, and Fabian
Things I missed to be there: The Chicago Rocks Hip Hop Showcase with Flosstradamus, Qwazaar, Crucial Conflict, Psalm One, All Natural, Verbal Kent and more at The Metro; World Naked Bike Ride and its assorted afterparties; Pilsen to Pilsen festival at Busker and Polvo; Ohtis, Maps & Atlases, and So Many Dynamos at PeopleProjects; Itch13 and Intel at Ohm
Reason for going: One of the DJs wanted me to take some pictures of him, plus I failed to get my bike operational after six hours of trying





The Flower Shoppe, home to Busker and Dai5ychain, throws some interesting events, everything from noise shows to lectures to hacker workshops to dance parties. I came tonight expecting more of a blowout than I've been able to make it to in a while, and while the place gotcrowded, it never quite blew up while I was there. I think the failure to become the jam of the century came from the misperception that people like elctro more than they do. At any point in the night, the right cheeseball hiphop track, mouths frothing and sex on the floor. I mean new cheeseball, old cheeseball, R. Kelly, Sean Kingston, Wreckx N Effect, Chamillionaire, Junior M.A.F.I.A. or the Humpty Dance. People were dancing but they wanted to yell shit with the songs. I did too.

This was the youngest dance party I'd been to in a while, more late teens than early twenty-somethings, and it was cool to see the new school work their shit. Not to be all back-in-my-day about it but these kids all grew up with cell phones, digital cameras, cell phones and myspace accounts and are just that much more involved in preserving the moment for the future/the internet. Cameras were flashing everywhere, often overwhelming the projected video, and everyone was famous.

No comments: