Thursday, June 19, 2008

After Party Hardy

Date: 6/19/08
Location: Members Only
DJs: Crystal Castles plus ?????
Cost: $5
Things I missed to be there: An actual Crystal Castles set with Radioclit at the Double Door; a fashion show at Cobra Lounge; and a punk show at Lowercase Collective
Reason for going: Actually, I missed all of that other shit because I had my own gig. Thios was the AFTER PARTY!



Members Only houses some of the best party starters in the city right now, stalwarts of the rave, loft, house party, and bourgie club scenes, so how awesome would it be if they teamed up with Avant Trill, the tiny collective that provides the city with a perfect mix of avant garde, glam, and juke with their weekly party Outdanced, for an afterparty for the free show of a dance pop ?

As awesome as you can get for a Wednesday night in the summer at a spot with no climate control and a cover charge, I guess. It's not that it wasn't a good time, or even that I was disappointed, it just wasn't the best thing ever (unless you are, like Crystal Castles, a chiptune band. I'm sure that any chiptune, glitch, or breakcore artist in America would damn near sell their souls for a chance to have a room full of sweaty kids waiting for them to show up on a Wednesday night tour gig ). One moment, however, stands out in particular.

The DJ before Crystal Castles is playing a pretty heavy electro set, and has built up a fairly decent dancefloor, when he throws on Flo Rida's "Low". I was shocked to see that "Low" killed the dance floor. I've never seen this happen before. A guy who's building energy with some obscure gems should cause a riot when he throws on a dumb hip hop jam that everyone can sing along to. I'm not sure if this crowd was just so savvy, that they weren't going to stay on the floor for one of the biggest hits of last year, or if they were just so goddamned white that they didn't know what to do.

I guess it serves the guy right for not playing R. Kelly. It's his party this week, and the quicker we all get used to it, the happier we'll all be.

No comments: