Sunday, September 11, 2005

Gutterpop. Bubbles up my Nose

Bands: The Violent Femmes, the Tossers
Date: 9/10/05
Venue: Wicker Park street fair
Things I missed to see the show: tras de nada, disrobe, no slogan, intifada at the South Side punk house, a buncha under 21 bands fighting for a RiotFest slot at a Ukranian American Hall, Gabby LaLa and Particle at someplace legitimate, and a crew of girls Mudwrestling in Wicker Park.
Cost: Free
Why I went: Poverty, sentiment

I used to live in a flophouse. I talk about it ad nauseum. Ten or more of us at any given time, stuffed into a three bedroom stuffed into a sixflat in Andersonville. Through it all there were only two cds that everyone would always agree with. One was the copy of the Violent Femmes' Greatest Hits that I bought used in eight grade. The other was a Violent Femmes sampler Ken burned for his girlfriend and kept for himself. If we put either album on at just the right time, it would be with us all week. We'd be blind drunk stumbling through alleys with "American Music" on our lips.

They're an underrated band, stuck on the street fair circuit. Back in 98 or 99, you couldn't walk down a street in the summer without coming across the band Cracker. That is where the Violent Femmes are now. They're an 80s nostalgia act, and they don't sound enough like Gang of Four to cash in on it. I've seen them four times now; thrice at festivals and once at some bloated Q101 holiday bill with Weezer, Sheryl Crow, Gravity Kills and Korn. It's too bad, because they're real fun to watch. Gordan Gano still works Billy Corgan's voice better than the Pumpkin ever could, and he can sell some of the dumbest lyrics you've ever heard if he needs to. They're a real rocknroll band. Fun shit for the sake of fun shit with touches of country and gospel and saxophone jazz freakouts. They even play 'Blister in the Sun' third or fourth in their set so Yuppies can get home early.

I've heard that their shows are either mind blowing or unlistenable, with no inbetween. To this point I'd only seen them play the former. I guess they broke new ground today with a completely mediocre set. They were a three piece today but I've seen them with four and five and seven before. I've seen them stoned to shit on pot and opium, banshee drunk and dead sober. All those times, they've been able to knock me on my ass, even in a sea of graduated frat boys and dollar-an-ounce beer.

Maybe the band's showing their age. Residue from the Stones show last week still in the air or something. They just didn't sound right. Their drummer could still wail, so could Gano and so could the bassist, just not at the same time. They seemed more like a really confident cover band. With a real good crowd response. They reminded me of the Night Watchmen, that group of dirty old fuckers that rocked the Lakeview Lounge til it closed recently. Unfortunately, what works at 3 AM in a bar in Edgewater can't keep me up at a street fest on Division. My girlfriend, was brought to tears when the band played 'You Are My Sunshine' nut it had nothing to do with how they played it (bad). She was tugging at my sleeve and rolling her eyes soon after. We left during the opening strains of 'Add It Up' and didn't look back.

One time in high school, I went to the Fireside Bowl. Many times actually but this time I was there to see one of my teachers' bands, the Phantom Three. I don't know if I fucked up or they did but I was treated to two bands I'd never heard before: The Tossers and Mary Tyler Morphine. Immediately they became two of my favorite bands to see live and I would as often as I could. At that point I had never heard of the Pogues. Shane McGowan had gone all country on my Dad's mix cds and I'd never seen a punk band pull out a tin whistle or an electric violin.I was enthralled. It was just about the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

I was excited when I found out they'd be playing in walking distance. I left late and Sarah left late and somehow we got there just as they were starting their set. They were playing some old shit. Dancin Shoes. Buckets of Beer. I watched new groups of highschoolers push through the crowd, leaping like maniacs to the front for some Celt moshing, but I just wasn't into it. Maybe it was the crowd. Maybe the sun, or the heat. They launched into 'The Crutch' and nothing; no fistpumping, no 'Oi!', just watching. There was something wrong, it was a band I used to love, playing fierce versions of songs I liked and I couldn't give a shit. So we left, for cheese fries and art in the former Buddy gallery, shrugging and vowing to come back for the Violent Femmes.

I hate fuckin streetfairs.

No comments: