Friday, September 23, 2005

Millions of Dead Clubs

Bands: Raining Bricks, Chronic Seizure, IATTACK, Millions of Dead Cops
Venue: the Bottom Lounge
Things I missed to be there: Black Bear Combo at a gallery, the Herc variety hour with Lord of the Yum Yum and Rotten Milk
Reason I went: I needed to go to a good punk show after missing them for weeks
Price: $8

My father and I were talking about all the geezer punk acts doing reunion tours.

"If I was a young punk, and I saw one of these assholes touring again I'd pull them off the stage and fucking piss on em." I know, my Dad's a charming fellow. "When the first wave hit, they were pissin' on the Who for being bloated and old, and out of touch and they were only fucking thirty, and now these asholes are doing reunions?"

I'm not sure if I agree. A lot of these bands are just doing what they love to do, supporting the local youth scene wherever they go and generally organizing the community. ome of these guys are diehards, they didn't think they'd live this long so they didn't think to stop. They're keepers of the faith. But then, some are just in it to make a quick buck off some half-hit they had, butching about Raegan.

Either way, this is a good weekend for dinosaur punk. On Saturday, the Effigies are playing at the Note; on Monday, the Exploited are playing the Double Door, and tonight MDC played the Bottom Lounge. I don't like seeing shows at any of those places but for some reason I hate the Bottom Lounge the most. I can't say why, if it's the vibe or the drink prices or the crowd or what, but I pretty much refuse to pay for shows there. The CTA is grabbing the land and shutting down the Bottom Lounge. They plan to reopen in a location in the West Loop early next year, which could be awesome in that the Bottom Lounge would be the Southernmost big concert venue in the city, or it would just bring the same kind of suck further South.

Tonight, though...Millions of Dead Cops. Perhaps the greatest name in punk rock since Flux of Pink Indians. I missed the first band, Raining Bricks, but got there just in time for Chronic Seizure, a pretty by-the-book hardcore act featuring members of the Repos and the Rat Bastards. They didn't do anything for me but they did a pretty hot Angry Samoans cover towards the end of their set.

The third band was IATTACK, a skate punk band from the Pilsen/Little Village scene. Unlike a lot of their peers, they're pretty fairly apolitical. The only thing I can say bad about them is that they have a truly Hispanic sense of time. No, you can't be offended by that. I've seen a number of their sets cut short because one or more members of the band were missing by showtime. Their set was generously fifteen minutes long and fierce. They played five or six songs, ended with their theme song, and spent about the same time they spent on stage tearing down their set.

Millions of Dead Cops came out of Austin in 1981, and had all their original members on board for their 25th anniversary tour. After the first few songs I started to think that maybe my father was right. Unlike other old punks I've seen recently, like the Subhumans, the Damned, and Riistetyt, they haven't spent the last two decades mastering their instruments. It just wasn't that good. There was a medley of songs about dead cops, which was pretty entertaining, but it wasn't until they played a straight-up rockabilly song that I really gave a shit. Their punk songs sounded as raw as they ever did, and not half as good as they do on record, but the motherfuckers can play a country song. They played a set full of their own, erm... hits, like "John Wayne was a Nazi" and everyone went nuts. The Bottom Lounge turned on a light that illuminated the pit, and it really got the kids off and they went wild.

In the end, I got really drunk and really into it and then the Bottom Lounge kicked us out because they suck and it was an early show and they needed to let in all the Lucero fans.

No comments: