Thursday, July 05, 2007

independence gay

Date: 7/4/07
Location: peopleprojects
Bands: Butt Stomach, Videohippos, Black Ladies, DD/MM/YYYY, dude from Parts & Labor and more
Cost: $5
Drinks: BYO
Things I missed to be there: Vertigo and the Massacres at someone's house; Lazer Crystal and Permanent Midnight at the Co-Prosperity Sphere; Cookies & Dirt at the Darkroom
Reason for going: Dan Deacon. I missed him last time, and I'll miss his official set at Pitchfork this weekend

"I never thought a math rock revival would happen this quickly, if these guys weren't all nineteen I could've sworn they opened for Sweep the Leg Johnny at the Fireside five years ago!"

This is one of those situations where it's good to be as myopic as I am. I never went to see Sweep the Leg Johnny (I mean ick, right) and I don't really know how to define math rock, but I also don't like to talk shit about bands as much as my old roomate does.

The band in question is dd/mm/yyyy, and while they did have a bit of that unsettling, almost-happy, early 2000s sound, they also had a distinct sense of early TV on the Radio OK Calculator.

The show started with Chicago's Black Ladies, a bassist/drummer combo who play their instruments the way a hitman might play a machine gun in songs like "Shannon Tweed", "Eleanor Roosevelt", and "Tonya Harding" and ended with a dance party that most of the crowd was to overheated to contribute to, courtesy of Old Style and Videohippos.

Throughout the afternoon, guys and gals in short shorts and clunky necklaces blew shit up all throughout the alley. The highlights came when one duder empties his moped's gas tank over a box full of fireworks and shot at it with a roman candle til shit got pretty and when another damaged a telephone wire with a bottlerocket with streamers.

It was another too-hot day, even in the alley, and the show started two or three hours past punk time usually alots for. There were still some stalwarts dancing between the gawkers and the stage, but most of us couldn't. With my vision obstructed, I cut out, down to the South Side, and the beautiful sight of Pilsen on fire.

No comments: