Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"You're angry because someone said something/ That Made You Feel Small"

Date: 7/9/07
Location: The Darkroom
Show: WLUW's Weird Kids Night with The Hump Day Dance Party, Jake Austen, Daniel Knox, DJ Unicorn and more
Cost:
$7
Drinks: Pricey
Reason for going: Thought I could get in free / wanted to see the band that cancelled




"So R. Kelly was giving me pointers on this song, and he's telling me, 'You gotta walk as you sing. You've got to pretend like you're Bing Crosby and shit and walk as you sing' so whenever I'm watching his videos and I see him walking and singing, I know exactly who he's thinking about."

Jake Austen is an endless resource of oddball anecdotes. Right now he's talking about something R. Kelly told him when they were both choir students together at Kenwood back in the day.

Overall, it's a weird night, but I guess that's the point.

DJ Unicorn and Dustin Drase (from WLUW's Hump Day Dance Party) are playing back and forth tag team sets of novelty songs. which will soon give way to Jake Austen playing jams from the last four decades as they've been covered on record by Alvin & the Chipmunks, and a cupcake eating contest that is almost guaranteed to end in controversy. The Cool Kids were supposed to end the night, but their dance card is full this week, what with Pitchfork and a million afterparties, so they just send out a DJ.

The highlight of the night, not counting the post-sugar rush dance party, is a scruffy Daniel Knox playing songs from Mister Roger's Neighborhood. Maybe it was just this recent metafilter post, but I could feel my eyes welling up just the tiniest bit as Daniel Knox played songs with lyrics like the one that titles this post.


No comments: