Monday, August 20, 2007

Do it Do it Go away

Date: 8/20/07
Location(s): 1. Empty Bottle; 2. Subterranean; 3. The Note
Bands: 1. Jai Alai Savant; 2. Chances Dances with DJs Nina Ramone, JackAttack, Dick Simmons and sCNa; 3. Girl in a Coma
Cost(s): 1. FREE! 2. FREE! 3. ?????
Things I missed to be there(s): Myopics Experimental Music Mondays with Bill Salas, Brian Labycz, and Frank Rosaly
Reason(s) for going: 1. Wanted to see if I should believe the hype; 2. and 3. wasn't ready to not be at a show while I was in the hood



1. Jai-Alai Savant is what Tool would sound like if Tool were a reggae band fronted by a well-dressed black dude who actually liked playing in front of an audience.

I wasn't sure whether or not to leave but I wanted some Fresh air, and didn't realize the show was sold out and a line had formed of people waiting for space to open up.

2. Chances Dances is where I would be every last Monday of the month if I was brave enough to go dancing by myself.

While I was there they played CSS' "Lets Make Love and Listen to Death From Above" and Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground". Drinks are too pricey but it serves me right for not being sneakier. $2 dollar Schlitz cans for the wicked and desperate.



3. Girl in a Coma is what The Smiths would sound like if they were a Latina three piece from San Antonio that occasionally played surf rock in Spanish

No comments: