Tuesday, January 02, 2007

OO-Wee-OO


bar vertigo

I don't know what idiot thing I was doing this Summer that forced me to miss Zolar X when they played The Note but I regret it, and I've been regretting it until I saw Cybernaut and Goltron (of the band Velva) play at Bar Vertigo on Saturday. In antennas, wigs, jumpsuits and glitter paint, they were the closest I was gonna get to the California glam spacemen, but they weren't the next best thing, they were a whole different brand of alien music that was a cross between techno, psychedelia, and some kind of Martian triphop, played on circuit bent phazers, samplers, theremin,and "guitars" that looked like they were built out of old toy car remote controls. They were incredible. I felt like I'd been sucked into "All Your Base Belong to Us"...the future as seen from the past and all that.

Point of reference: Cybernaut and Goltron: All Your Base Are Belong To Us:


Also playing was Sir Vixx, who was hilarious. He was this big metalhead lookin dude, who danced in front of his laptop as he played Fruity Loops drumnbass tracks, whipping his dreads around, mouthing the words to all his samples, and occasionally playing air guitar, drums, or piano as was needed.

Point of reference:Sir Vixx: Strong Bad's techno song:


Currently listening: MC Lean's Randomatic Radio on WLUW 88.7 fm

No comments: