Thursday, April 19, 2007

a little post-noise metal to cleanse the palette

Late Show

Date: 4/18/07
Bands: Sweet Cobra, (Lone) Wolf & Cub
Location: People Projects
Cost: Free(?)
Things I missed to be there:See below
Reason for going: I'd never been to People Projects



[Sweet Cobra playing "Tom Knees" live at the Fireside]


A few years ago, The Machine Media had an office in the Congress Theatre building, next to a gallery. When the lease ended, both businesses had to move, replaced by The Yard Sale(a second-hand clothing boutique) and Manifest (a gallery, later renamed Zoku). Now that the lease is up again, both businesses have For Rent signs up. They aren't the only young people ventures on that row of storefronts though, just one door East is People Projects, a gallery/concert venue, and next to that a moped store. Despite the fact that the Congress Theatre is in a prime location, that only gets prime-er each year as the neighborhood gentrifies, not a lot of businesses make it. I've seen everything from a pizza-by-the-slice joint to Chicago's Autonomous Zone pop up and shrink back down, and while I must admit that I cursed Manifest/Zoku under my breath for their hubris in opening up a gallery where a more-professional gallery had folded less than a month earlier, I would like top see People Projects succeed.

Upstairs, People Projects is a gallery. For their first show, they built a half-pipe in the storefront's doorway; for their second, they built a wall of cardboard televisions that now stands as a backdrop for the bands playing downstairs.

I got there just in time to see Sweet Cobra, a metal thrash outfit, featuring my old neighbor, Logan Square's supercute heavy metal Dad. The band split their songs into pummeling dirges and slightly-twangy party metal. The singer growled, people slammed into each other, a pipe started to drip icky water near the front of the stage. (Lone) Wolf & Cub was next, more growling but softer guitars. I prefer this band's sound, but I wasn't in the mood so I ankled.

The night, as I chose to live it, didn't meet its own hype. Whatevs.


[(Lone) Wolf & Cub's video for "Misplaced Mortar Gag #2"]

No comments: