Thursday, September 20, 2007

Who Thinks This Guy Here is a Bottom?

Date: 9/18/07
Location: Funky Buddha Lounge
Show: Outdanced featuring Dark Wave Disco, Michael T Motherfucker, Theo, Pier Novikov, Peppermint Gummybear and more
Cost: Free with RSVP to going.com
Drinks: $1 well vodka and whiskey
Things I missed to be there: Simian Mobile Disco and Telefon Tel Aviv at the Empty Bottle




Too many people are doing the same thing. It's getting annoying and, sadly, I'm one of them. Last night's show was swarmed with event photographers, trolling through the bar for people having a good time or looking to pose, without really stopping to get down themselves.

That was my big problem with Outdanced, a show I've been looking forward to for some time now. Not enough people were having a good time, and the DJs weren't helping. When I got there, Margaret Cho had just come through and done her thing and Theo and Michael T Motherfucker were spinning, and it was just a flairless set of all that postpunk, new wave, and NY dance shit me, my Mom, and everybody else plays. I had hoped we would be seeing Theo (formerly of the Lunachicks) with her new band, Theo and the Skyskrapers, who do their own version of that synthy NY shit I just mentioned, but she was just spinning. One room over, Dark Wave Disco was playing some hard hitting dance shit but no one was getting down because it was the room people were going into because it was less crowded than the main room. It probably would have stayed that way if Peppermint Gummybear didn't change the mood with a hot body crowd, pulling all the photographers up to the front of the room, and whipping the rest of the crowd into a spring break-at-Senor Frog's-in-Cabo type of frenzy.

The results were a couple of titties, a couple of butts, one wang, a bunch of screaming motherfuckers who wanted to get laid, and untold number of pictures that look exactly like this...



Which is kind of interesting, I guess, but also pointless. I kept my guy sheathed because the party was covered and there wasn't much I could add but a bunch of self-serving pictures of other photographers.

Professional quality digital cameras are pretty cheap these days. For just a couple hundred bucks more than something that fits in your pocket and takes mediocre pictures, you can get a Rebel, an N60 or a D40 and the people who really like to see pictures of themselves are starting to realize. In a Newcity article about the main stealer of hipster souls in town, Liz Armstrong (who writes about Outdanced in this week's Reader) describes it thusly: "Anyone with a really nice camera can do that shit. There is nothing else but an image, and in the end I guess it feels a little cheap."

When the Hot Body contest was over people were actually starting to dance in the main room. I shook my shit for a little while and got bored, wondering if Simian Mobile Disco were ever going to show up, looked at my friends falling asleep on the couches in the VIP room, shrugged and left, drunker than I should have been and ready to sleep.


[Theo & the Skyscrapers doing their thing]

No comments: